Zion is proud to partner with Lutheran World Relief to offer fair trade coffee. Several varieties are available for sale in the church office.
About Fair Trade
Behind items that we consume every day (coffee, tea and chocolate to name a few) are farmers struggling to survive and support their families. Living in poor, rural regions of the world where paved roads and internet access are rare, small-scale farmers who produce these items do not have their pick of buyers.
In conventional trade, middlemen take advantage of this and pay unfairly low price — prices that do not even cover farmers’ costs and leave them no money for nutritious food, medicine, clothes or education. Children are forced to work instead of attending school.
When you buy Fair Trade items, more of the money you spend reaches the hands of the people who crafted them.
In supporting Fair Trade, you support:
- Better incomes for farmers
- Better working conditions
- Protecting children from child labor and slavery
- Women’s rights
- Democratic principles, giving the poor more power
- Good stewardship of resources like water, fertile land and forests
- Development projects that bring schools, clinics and clean water to poor, rural communities